Thursday, January 19, 2012

first week.

My GOVT class has already been cancelled and it's only the first week of the semester. And that is why I am typing this up now as opposed to my usual time of 2 AM.

But I'm much more tired than I would be at 2 AM.



That's my schedule. Originally I didn't have that 8:00 AM MWF SOCI class. And then, sometime around midnight a couple of days before school started I thought, "I'm not an overachiever, but let me sign up for an extra 3 hours! I've never taken more than 15 hours, so I'll do 17! SO MOTIVATED." 

That motivation lasted until I set my alarm for 7:00 AM. 

And now my sleep schedule is out of whack, I'm exceptionally tired, and I regret all my life choices up until now. 

But I also have good news! 

In my quest to become the single greatest/most in demand stage manager in the universe, I had to take a look at local theatres. Local meaning 30 minutes away, past I-10. 

The Country Playhouse Theatre fit that description perfectly, and I sent an email saying I wanted to volunteer on any production to do pretty much whatever they wanted. Which is generally how it works at every theatre in the world. I expected to get an email back saying, "Yes, we could use your minimal amount of talent because we are always desperate for willing to accept people to run tech." Instead I got a phone call in the middle of class from the volunteer coordinator asking me if I wanted to be the Stage Manager for an upcoming black box production. For those who don't know, this: 


is a black box theatre. Small, black, sometimes a small raised area as a stage. 

I had to wait until after class to hear this message, so until then I thought it was my mom. 

When I finally heard the message, I walked to my car, got in, turned it on, and exploded. Then I realized that I had to run this by my parents. Luckily that realization happened after I drove home singing to every song and danced around the house scaring the dog. So I had my fun. 

And yes, I told my mom and dad, and they were like "Where, what times, school comes first." And I got all of that information and the Volunteer Coordinator even sent me a real schedule that they Director had done up. So I can still totally do it. 

So, by the time you read this post, I will be the Stage Manager for the 3-man black box production of "Below the Belt". 

No, I've never heard of it. That might not even be the show that I'm working on. 

Along with SM, I will probably be doing Light/Sound. So if you want to help out, give me a shout. No experience needed. Seriously. I could have been a hobo off the street and still gotten this gig. They had no idea that I have barely any prior experience. I merely stated that I was interested in Set construction. 

And they all say it's hard to get into the theatre biz. pissssshhhh. Whatever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment