Thursday, January 26, 2012

below the belt.

This week marked my first 2 rehearsals with the director and cast of "Below the Belt". It's also the first time I've been a stage manager.

I've been an Assistant Stage Manager before, a few years back, but the work between the 2 positions is ridiculous.

I'm the youngest. And the only girl. It's all older men that I'm working with. It's kind of weird. I have yet to meet someone in their 20s at Country Playhouse. It's not a big issue, but it would be nice to talk about school or something with someone who's still in school.

But let me tell you about the job.

I do a lot of shit.

I take notes on blocking (the actor's movements). I take notes on props, set, costumes, as they're given. Eventually I'll be taking notes on lights and sound, and then taking down all the cues. And it a pretty light heavy show. I have to do rehearsal reports daily. This contains the day's planned schedule, what actually happened, the schedule for the next rehearsal, all the notes on props, set, costume, etc. Any miscellaneous information that doesn't fit under any of the aforementioned categories. And other stuff I'm sure, but I haven't gotten that far yet. I have never done any of this before. I'm just sort of pulling my limited past experience and winging it.

I don't even think that the director is aware that I'm pretty much totally inexperienced, but I guess that just means that I'm doing a good job.

I'm lost when it comes to blocking. It's written down in my script, but I need transfer it the floor plan. And I have no clue what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

And I've never called cues before.

Country Playhouse is a 35-40 minute drive away from my house, down I-10. It's far. I got lost the first time I drove there. It wasn't a big deal, but still, I like to at least pretend to appear professional. Punctuality is apart of that.

Gas is an issue. It's an even bigger issue when you don't have any money.

I have this tackle box now. Yes, like the ones that fishermen have. It's full of supplies, and it still isn't enough.  I just got the important stuff, pencils, pens, sticky notes. Sticky notes are important. A utility knife. I'm not entirely sure why I got one, but when I looked at a list of stuff in a stage manager kit, that was there. And it was $5 at Wal-Mart.

So, now I'm really a stage manager. Everyone is very nice and happy and excited that I took the position. They way they make it seem is that they were worried that they weren't going to get an SM at all.

And then they got me.


No comments:

Post a Comment