Saturday, April 7, 2012

closing night.


Office
I know it's been a while. And I was supposed to talk about opening night. Yet now closing night is upon us, and you have no clue as to my first show went.

Did it go okay? Was it horrible? Was I a nervous wreck? Did anybody even listen to me? Do I still want to be a stage manager?

It's been going surprising well. Though there was one weekend, the second week of the show, where all the tech (myself included) was all kinds of fucked up.
The show has gotten great reviews. Here's one: http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artattack/2012/03/below_the_belt_a_corporate_fan.php#more
I was nervous, but in that good pre-show way. I knew it would be fine, I just wanted to be sure it would actually be fine. That doesn't make any sense, but maybe you get it.
Everybody listens to me. I'm the fucking STAGE MANAGER.
And I will remain a stage manager until I feel that I can no longer do it. Which means until the end of time.

Bedroom
After this I'll be doing Lover's Quarrel at KVPAC. WHAT?!?!? Not CPH?!?

Yes. I need to expand a bit. Plus, my theatre teacher was cast and he seems like he'd be awesome to work with. The only difference is that I won't be an SM; I'll just be doing general tech stuff.

And also general tech stuff for an upcoming show at CPH.

And I'm now a "Technical Assistant" at CPH.  I'll be helping out the Houston Russian Ballet in May.
$25/hour bitches!

The floor. It glows too. 
And I spoke a person who seems important at CPH and who told me that she "directs a lot" and said that she "liked my resume" (resume? what? what resume? you mean my bio in the program?) and would like for me to be her SM for her show. NEXT YEAR. I have a fucking job lined up for NEXT FUCKING YEAR.

And now, here I am. In the booth overlooking weeks of time and effort. Just waiting for the last show to start. And knowing it will be great.

Tomorrow we strike everything except the paint on the floor (which I think should stay there until forever because it's fucking amazing) and then it will really be over. In about 3 hours, 6 weeks of work will be gone.


So, my first show was great. It was everything that I wanted out of my first SM experience.

Panoramic of the entire set




No comments:

Post a Comment